Graduate Application Materials
Applying to the Graduate Program: A Step-by-Step Guide
Step 1: Identify potential mentors by reviewing individual faculty and the different research groups with which they are affiliated to better understand the breadth and complementary nature of faculty research interests and how they fit with your own. Feel free to contact individuals via email to explore fit and to ask about opportunities for the upcoming year.
Step 3: When you set-up your username and password, you will be able to login and complete your online application. These materials will include:
- Your statement of purpose
- Your transcript (unofficial is fine at this stage)
- A current curriculum vita
- The names and contact information for three letters of recommendation. Letter writers will submit their letters electronically through the Office of Admissions application, a process that you will be able to monitor
- Your GRE scores, which will be received through TCU’s Admission Office (institutional code 6820)
- The Psychology Department application
International students will also need:
- TOEFL score of 80 (internet based) or 550 (paper based) or a minimum IELTS score of 6.5. TCU’s institution code for score submission is 6820
- Complete the International Student Scholar form
APPLICATION DEADLINE: All materials must be received by January 1st for the fall term.
The Psychology Department conducts a holistic review (i.e., a full file review) of applications. This ensures that no single factor leads to either accepting or excluding a student from admission. Additionally, this gives us the opportunity to recognize that an applicant’s strength in one area may offset a weakness in another. By carefully weighing the strengths, achievements, and ways in which an applicant might contribute to the educational environment of the Psychology program, we increase the likelihood of offering admission to those who are most likely to succeed.